OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Nueva Luz Vol. 23.2 Fashion Issue
Contact Email: email@example.com
Deadline: Monday, August 19th, 2019 | 11:59PM
Selections and announcements will be made mid September 2019.
En Foco, Inc. invites fine art and documentary photographers of color to submit work for consideration to be featured in the Nueva Luz Vol. 23.2 Fashion Issue.
The phenomenon of fashion is fascinating in its ubiquity and complexity. Individuals develop an intimate relationship with clothes, and many construct and express their identities through their appearance. Additionally, sartorial expressions can serve to align with certain groups or assert one’s difference. Fashion is also performative, a spectacle. These multiple facets make fashion a rich topic for photography. This issue of Nueva Luz will explore the multiple ways in which we communicate, produce, consume and experience fashion.
ABOUT NUEVA LUZ:
Nueva Luz is published twice annually showcasing the works of our Fellows and a contemporary photography curated issue, with essays on equity and culture. Nueva Luz’ print and digital editions is distributed widely
WHO CAN SUBMIT
• Photographers of Latino, African, Asian American heritage, and Native Peoples of the Americas and the Pacific.
• Must be a resident of the United States, however, priority will be given to New York State residents.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Collaborating photographers are eligible to apply BUT only one photographer can submit to the call.
• Photography for consideration must represent work completed after 2016.
Artist selected for this edition of Nueva Luz will be curated by Tanya Melendez, the Senior Curator of Education and Public Programs at the Fashion Institute of Technology.
NOTIFICATION & HONORARIUM
Notifications will be made via e-mail. Selected artist will receive an honorarium for their participation in Nueva Luz and ten printed copies of the magazine.
Submit five to seven images that convey a story around the theme of Fashion. If selected the following images and text submitted will be used in the issue of Nueva Luz. Please tightly edit the content you are submitting for consideration.
1. Create an account with Submittable.com.
2. A one-page resume & 250-word biography.
3. A 250-word artist statement about your work.
4. 5-7 images (5 images are required, additional 2 are optional,) Follow the sizing guidelines.
6. Head shot (300 dpi jpeg only).
*The application form does not have to be completed in a single session; the system will save your draft application. We suggest that you save often as you fill out the form, and that you save a copy of any narrative texts.
ABOUT EN FOCO
En Foco is a non-profit organization that nurtures and supports contemporary fine art and documentary photographers of diverse cultures, primarily U.S. residents of Latino, African and Asian Heritage, and Native Peoples of the Americas and the Pacific. Since it was founded in 1974, En Foco has been an outspoken leader and advocate for the equitable support and access to resources for photographers of color. It has a distinguished itself through its sustained commitment to providing its primary constituency and the communities they represent financial support, public programming, information services and cultural advocacy initiatives.